A while back, I replaced the neutral switch with
one I found in a junkyard. (The neutral switch
keeps you from starting the car with the
transmission in “Drive.”) I had to remove a very
rusty air-vent to gain better access to the switch.
Guess what I found underneath the air-vent: more
rust! I removed one part after another, only to
reveal more rust. Before long, I had the entire
front fender assembly torn apart. I decided to
de-rust what I could myself (via brush, sand paper,
HCl) and have the rest professionally sand-blasted.
And, of course, I would prime and paint each piece.
The fenders also use about 50 5/16 – 24 bolts with
nuts, washers and lock washers. (Note that I also
used washers on certain sheet metal screws.) In the
pages which follow, I’ll show how the fenders go
Rather than use the old rusty screws to reassemble
the restored fenders, I found shiny new ones in two
different lengths. These are ¼ inch sheet metal
screws, ¾ and 1 inch long. You need about 50 each
of these. If you replace the screws, make sure you
get the variety with a recessed head, as this was
the original style. (These are not easy to find in
stores—you may need to order them.)